If you are unable to host or connect to multiplayer
Age of Kings
games, it may be necessary to change
your network settings. The following steps are sufficient, although some steps may be unnecessary:
- If your computer accesses the internet through a
local area network
(instead of connecting directly to a cable modem), then you will need to
change your router settings to forward ports 47624, 6073, and 2300-2400 to the
IP address of your computer
Router settings can usually be accessed by logging in to something like
Consult your system administrator or your router's documentation.
If the router asks you which protocols to forward (UDP or TCP) then choose both.
Disable any firewall
software running on your computer.
In Windows Vista,
it is not sufficient to
go to the Control Panel and select "Allow a program through Windows Firewall". You must turn off the
built-in Windows firewall completely.
You can find this option in the Control Panel by
searching for "firewall".
- If you are using Windows Vista, set some compatibility options for age2_x1.exe. To do this:
- Find the Age of Kings directory. By default, this is
C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires II/
- Open the age2_x1 folder.
- Right click on age2_x1.exe and click "Properties".
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
- Check "Run in 256 Colors"
- Check "Disable visual themes"
- Check "Disable desktop composition"
- Check "Run this program as administrator"
- Click "OK"